Your one-shelter quiver is here, ready for the full range of 3-season conditions without weighing you down or cramping your space.
We designed the High Route Tent to the specifications of Andrew Skurka, a National Geographic “Adventurer of the Year” and Sierra Designs ambassador, who wanted a single shelter that he could use on all of his solo trips. With its full-sided coverage, palatial interior, porch-able side doors, and removable bug nest, the High Route Tent excels in stormy, buggy, and/or hot and humid 3-season conditions, and can withstand moderate winter weather as well. Skurka found inspiration for this shelter from 11,000-foot campsites in the High Sierra, ravenous mosquitoes in Alaska, multi-day downpours in the Appalachians and Pacific Northwest, and below-timberline winter trips in the Rockies and Minnesota. At 2 lbs 5 oz for the fly and nest, the High Route is still acceptably light for milder conditions, especially for campers who need or want to spread out.
Non-freestanding pyramid-inspired design, tight catenary cut ridgeline, and pole-reinforced vertical doors make it suitable for harsh 3-season and moderate winter weather.
- Generous dimensions and steep wall angles create 36 square feet of highly usable interior space, in excess of many “ultralight” 2-person tents.
- Both side doors can be guyed out in calm conditions to improve ventilation and increase usable space.
- In stormier weather, 5-inch awning vents maintain ventilation. Doors can be opened from the top using two-way zippers, while remaining protected by the awning.
- Tarp and bug nest can be used separately, like on winter trips or hot summer nights.
- Vertical offset poles do not block the entrances or split up the sleeping area, unlike most other pyramid and A-frame style shelters.
- Simple, intuitive, and fast pitch. The tarp should be set up first, which keeps the bug nest dry. Bug nest connects to the tarp with hook-and-ring system.
Number of Poles: N/A (Requires trekking poles or Accessory Pole Set, sold separately)
- Fly Fabric: 20D Nylon Ripstop, Silicone/1500mm PE, FR
- Floor Fabric: 30D Nylon Ripstop, WR/3000mm PE, FR
- Body Fabric: 15D Nylon, No-See-Um Lightweight Mesh
Minimum Weight: 2 lbs 5 oz / 1.05 kg
- Packaged Weight: 2 lbs 12 oz / 1.25 kg
- Number of Doors: 2
- Number of Gear Closets: Internal Storage
- Gear Storage Area (Tarp Area - Nest Area): 17.3 ft2 / 1.61 m2
- Interior Area (Tarp): 36 ft2 / 3.34 m2
- Interior Area (Nest): 18.8 ft2 / 1.75 m2
- Internal Peak Height (Tarp): 48 in / 122 cm
- Internal Peak Height (Nest): 43 in / 109 cm
- Awning Height: 38.5 in / 98 cm
- Length (Tarp): 108 in / 274 cm
- Length (Nest): 90 in / 229 cm
- Width (Tarp): 48 in / 122 cm
- Width (Nest): 30 in / 76 cm